On the Backs of Butterfly Wings


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




The world of insects has always been fascinating to me. Photographer Jody Ake and I wanted to capture that in the photo above. Jody uses one of those old Polaroid cameras from the 1800s - the same camera that Edward S. Curtis used to capture the faces of the American Indian tribesmen and women he encountered on his sojourn through the western United States. Jody mixes his own chemicals and all images come out as an 8x10 glass plate negative, capturing depth of features and the slightest texture.

I chose to pose with a monarch buttefly that I had raised (seen on shoulder), but only the silhouette showed up because the camera reads red tones as blacks. The plant I am holding is the common milkweed - the seeds blowing in the wind. It's the same plant the monarch exclusively feeds on. I was happy to see that the photo was able to catch the soft, silky texture of the milkweed.

Pictures below on one of many insect collecting trips in upstate New York.


Collecting bark beetles


0 Responses to “On the Backs of Butterfly Wings”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


about

  • From the frontlines: Tracking the latest news, updates, and projects of Summer Rayne Oakes

E-mail me SRO News


Preview | FeedBlitz

Social Bookmarking

previous posts

archives

links


ATOM 0.3

View blog top tags View blog authority