Correlation of the Invasive Phragmites to Roads & Road Type in Akwesasne


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I'm breaking this down old school style and whipping out the G.I.S. I was tra-la-la-ing on my old laptop for my Amboseli National Park report and along came my research on the invasive Phragmites (common reed). This was one of the first statistical correlations done to support the theory that invasive species are spread by anthropogenic influences (i.e. road building). I hadn't gotten a chance to get this published, but I do believe my friend used it in his thesis. This really brings back memories out in the field and GPSing this mother f*%ing invasive haplotype. (The Common Reed is native to the U.S., but DNA evidence shows that there is an invasive haplotype from Europe that has invaded the U.S. probably by way of the St. Lawrence Seaway). Why does it all matter? Well, it's your tax dollars baby - this stuff clogs waterways and strangles native fish and bird habitat.

I tried to do a larger correlation outside of the Mohawk Reservation, but unfortunately (like most G.I.S. information), the information wasn't detailed enough. I loved G.I.S. - it kinda gave me the same feeling that I imagine He-Man had when he held his sword up to the lightning, "I HAVE THE POWER!" Unfortunately, being 2 years removed from the technology does not serve one well; I'm not sure I remember much from those days....but oooooohhh how I miss it.


0 Responses to “Correlation of the Invasive Phragmites to Roads & Road Type in Akwesasne”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


about

  • From the frontlines: Tracking the latest news, updates, and projects of Summer Rayne Oakes

E-mail me SRO News


Preview | FeedBlitz

Social Bookmarking

previous posts

archives

links


ATOM 0.3

View blog top tags View blog authority