Big Picture Approach to Fashion: My Role as Acting Editor of Lucire Magazine


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Last month I took on the role as Acting Editor for global fashion magazine, Lucire. I was honored when Jack, the publisher, asked me to take the reigns, at least for a little while, because Lucire represents an idea that I live out every day: we can use commonalities in cultures (i.e. the clothes that we wear) to:

1.) talk and connect with one another on a deeper level, and
2.) report and communicate greater issues, like socio-environmental concepts, to a broader audience.

I do realize that many people are not familiar with the magazine, particularly because it is not readily available in the States (90% of fashion magazines come from NYC). I would like to try to tackle that as I navigate through my everyday life, though that will take some work, no doubt.

new launch of Lucire website in progress

In the meantime, we are revamping the website so that we can communicate more effectively what we are reporting on in the magazine. In the meantime, it is available as
a print publication throughout New Zealand, Australia, Romania, and other nations via subscription...not a small feat for a print magazine that is just over 2 years old - and the first fashion magazine to go from web to print. Because we want it to go global, we are even proposing a no-risk liscensing fee to get it established in different parts of the world.

I always believed, since I
was profiled in the magazine in April 2005, that Lucire should be part of a greater movement. In 2003, when Lucire was still a website, it was named the first fashion industry partner of the United Nations Environment Programme. We were probably early with that accolade. The eco movement is still in its infancy, but it was imperative to lay the groundwork for a larger movement. Since the making of the magazine, we have devoted multiple pages to designers and causes that have connections with greater social and environmental movements. We will continue that reporting in a greater capacity. Each page will become more connected to the greater whole. Our reporters & photographers will ask themselves, "How is what I am writing/shooting adding greater value to the world while still keeping the readers interest?" - "How do these trends connect to our everyday lives and the world around us?" These are just some of the exciting challenges we have identified, and I think we are ready to embrace them.

Secondly,
Lucire for me has always been about community. It is about a global voice. It is about using fashion as a medium to connect cultures and people around the world. My idea, that people from all parts of the globe will be able to contribute their thoughts to the magazine freely, is being realized over the next few months. In this 9th Anniversary Issue alone, we have soulful fashion highlights from Pakistan to the U.S., New Zealand to Nigeria...but we want more of this. The website, prior to the magazine, was well traveled by many throughout the world. We want to build upon that in a big way, especially with the advent of all this consumer-powered content technology.

No doubt Lucire will be taking a new shape, but one that stays true to its initial mission. The team, which looks like a convening of the United Nations (because it is so global), is a blessing, but it undoubtedly gives me a challenge that other editors may not normally face. I pledge over this time to use my own knowledge to help the Lucire brand and vision thrive. I do suppose my role as Acting Editor is particularly fortuituous especially since over the last six months I have had the pleasure of helping consult and work on advertising and editorial platforms for over a half dozen well-known magazines. I plan to use the indirect knowledge that I have acquired from those clients and infuse them into my role. This, I know, will be both an exciting and arduous journey. <It's a good thing I like adventure travel!>.

My own editorial, "Behind the Label," will still be a part of the magazine, as it has been since September 2005, but I have put in some thought on how it will morph to better fit the overall structure. My latest BTL editorial, which follows the past format, can be viewed here, so please stay tuned to newer versions and more articles on my part. So if you are in the areas where Lucire is most accessible, I do hope you enjoy the new look and new additions. For those of you who may be visiting it for the first time or interested in subscribing or advertising, do not hesitate to contact the team. Because we believe strongly in our mission, we are even giving 20% off the regular advertising prices to companies that we rate as socially- and environmentally-responsible. We believe in your mission and we hope to convey that through our pages.

Greatest Regards,
Summer Rayne Oakes


0 Responses to “Big Picture Approach to Fashion: My Role as Acting Editor of Lucire Magazine”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


about

  • From the frontlines: Tracking the latest news, updates, and projects of Summer Rayne Oakes

E-mail me SRO News


Preview | FeedBlitz

Social Bookmarking

previous posts

archives

links


ATOM 0.3

View blog top tags View blog authority